Apple Slice Template or white paper with apple slice shape drawn onto it
Red, green, or yellow paper
Scrap of black paper
- Print out the Apple Slice Template or draw an apple slice on white paper.
- Have your child choose their favorite color apple.
- Using the appropriate colored paper, cut out small squares that will fit inside the apple skin.
- Glue the paper to the skin.
- Rip small pieces of black paper for the apple seeds
- Have your child glue the seed to the apple slice.
- Cut out the apple slice!
Suggested project uses
This project can be used in the following ways:
- Smell Art! Use apple flavored Sugar-free Jell-o to make a scented paint by water a small amount of water until the powder turns into a paste. Use the scented paint to color the apple skin.
- Use this project when talking about Seasons
- Use this project with an Apple Lesson Plan
- Whatever you use this project for, remember to proudly display your child’s masterpiece!
Here is a list of things you can talk about while doing this project with your child:
- Talk about colors of apples. Why are there different colors of apples?
- If you choose to make this a Smell Art project, discuss the sense of smell. Have your child guess what they think the project will smell like. You could make a discovery moment with your child but not telling them what project you will be doing. Have your child close their eyes and guess what you will be making by smelling the “painting” solution.
- Discuss where apples come from, what time of year apples are picked, what food group apples belong to.
While working on this project, your child will be practicing the following skills:
- Fine motor (ripping and gluing)
- Eye-Hand Coordination
- Imagination and Creation
- Color recognition
- Letter recognition
- Scientific discussion
- Discovery moment!